Monday 25 December 2017

Quiet Time [Through My Lens]

In the (late) morning of Christmas Eve, I went for a quiet walk into town to attend a church service centered on the Nativity.

DSC02632

Typical Swedish window decorations in December.


DSC02634

All that snow earlier in December, and this was all that was left on Christmas Eve… (No serious complaint from me, though, I have to confess - as I do prefer ice-free streets for walking!)


DSC02635

If you’ve been following this blog for a while, you’ve probably seen this church before. It’s the oldest church in BorĂ¥s, from 1669. But they say there was a stone church in the same place even centuries before that.

DSC02636

I was a bit early, so went for a turn around the block before entering. This little square close to the church is still called the “Haymarket”  - indicating that it has probably been there for quite some time, too!


DSC02638

Even on a very quiet grey Christmas Eve Sunday Morning, one really never knows what one is going to see next! Not sure if this ‘Santa’ was coming or going… or just “hanging out”… Winking smile

DSC02639

Church window from outside.
(And oh, another speck of snow!)

171224 Caroli

An interior shot with my mobile (on silent) before the service began.


DSC02642

Central in the Nativity service is that the children get to be up front and help place the figures at the crib in connection with the story being told.

(After the service everyone is welcome to have a closer look if they want, and that’s when I got the camera out.)

DSC02643

“… and the star [the Magi] had seen in the east went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was. When they saw the star, they were overjoyed. On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold and of incense and of myrrh.” (Matt. 2:9-11, NIV)

Merry Christmas



Through My Lens

Linking to Mersad’s

Through My Lens Nr 125:
In the Quiet Time

6 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, I can do without the snow too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the tree in the square. And what a treat!! Seeing inside the church, it is gorgeous! I love the warm reflections from outside the church window!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My great grandfather left Sweden, married my great grandmother in Norway then immigrated to the United States with my grandmother when she was six years old. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty decorations, and the church looks festive and warm.
    We were in the village church for mass yesterday morning, with the village band accompanying us when we were singing Christmas carols and hymns (all my favourites were played!); O.K. plays the trumpet in the band, and his Dad the saxophone.
    The church was full to bursting with families, and nicely decorated, too. Maybe next year I'll remember to take a few pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! I had a very restful Christmas this year, which was what I felt I needed. :)

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...