Sunday 18 September 2016

Some Anniversary

Bildresultat för some anniversary
(The very first image that came up when I typed “some anniversary” in the Google image search box”"!!!)

Too much of my time lately seems to be taken up by technology trouble. If not one thing, it’s another.

Have you been hit by the Windows 10 Anniversary Update yet? Until this morning, I had not even heard about it… However, when I started my computer today (intending to reply to a few blog comments before lunch) this happened:

Okay… I guess I’ll have my lunch while that goes on then…?

1 hour later: 32% done.

2 hours: Just a wheel of dots spinning on black screen...
(…on and on and on, and nothing else happening…)

3 hours: Still spinning. No idea what's going on.
Phoned my brother for moral support before taking the bold decision to turn the computer off and on again.
Looked promising at first; but soon back to what I later learned also goes by the ominous name of SWOD (spinning wheel of death)… I took my chances though and just left it spinning while I went out for a walk.

4½ hours (or so): Back home. Cup of tea. Wheel still spinning, no change. New decision: Turn off. Let computer rest and cool off for a while. Do the same myself… Read up on things in manual.

5½ hours: Deep breath, pressing the start button again. Missed hitting F8 at the right moment (as the manual advised) – darn… Okay, let’s see what happens… oh? Smart computer… It understood my intention anyway…

 

Another half hour or so, and bingo:

 

So it seems I’m now back to the version of Windows 10 that I had before the attempt at “anniversary” update. (If I’ve lost anything else in the process I’ve not discovered that yet.)

The question remains: What happens next time I have to turn the computer off  and on again? – as no doubt at some point I shall have to.

For tonight I’m contemplating the alternative to perhaps just try and put it to “sleep” rather than turn it off properly, though… We’ll see how that goes!

Bildresultat för zzz

13 comments:

  1. Oh my GOSH!! This same thing happened to my brother-in-law last week. It just went ahead and did this all on it's own? Someone suggested to him to restore to a previous point, it looks like that's what you did. I know they used to have their X-ing out box so that when you clicked it, they actually started the update! What is going ON with this Windows 10 anyway!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that I don't use Windows. I couldn't stand the excitement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, when I looked up the SWOD, I found that to initially refer to the equivalent at Apple, though...

      Delete
    2. Yes Monica the most dreaded thing on a Mac is the SWOD. Touch wood in the six years I've had Macs I've never had one. I do, however, have a collection of articles stored away on the Cloud telling me what to do if I do ever get one.

      Delete
  3. I can tell you that the new windows 10 does not like or play well with sleep mode, been there done that and run the search on it. search for windows 10 and sleep mode. I do hope this doesn't happen to mine. now I wonder has it been a year since I downloaded? and all the time it takes you have no computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you already have Windows 10, Sandra, I don't think you will be able to avoid this update. If if it does not go as it should first time round, one tip I found (and followed when I tried again) was to disconnect all USB devices during the process.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear! I've been putting off switching to WIN10 all this mostly for fearing issues with my favourite computer game (The Sims 2), and it seems I won't be switching anytime soon after reading what can happen to my computer without me doing anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having no personal experience of The Sims, Meike, I can't say how that might be affected.

      Delete
  5. I'm sticking with Windows 8. Not that it is much better but it does allow you to turn off updates. Of course you get a regular warning that not updating Windows is dangerous but so far (over the last fifteen years or so) not updating hasn't done me any harm and has saved me from a lot of the hassle that p-w-l-t has. I reckon the reduction in my stress levels has been well worth the 'risk'. Of course, Windows 10 doesn't appear to let you turn off updates so that is absolutely no consolation to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No John, I could not find any such option... So I decided instead to "take the bull by the horns" and try the process again manually. Luckily it seems I did not have to regret that. (Not yet, anyway!)

      Delete
  6. I'm pleased to be able to add that I did manage a successful update yesterday (Monday afternoon/evening). It took 5 hours, though - and that is with 50/50 Mbit/s broadband! I initiated it myself rather than wait for Windows to just hit me with it at any random time... And before doing so, I disconnected all USB devices from my computer (because of various comments on similar troubles that I had found online in between).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd have no hope with my 2.43MbPS then would I? And I should say that's an improvement on the 0.9 that I had for many years until a few months ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I never feel sure about these things - how much is down to the broadband speed and how much to the computer itself.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...