Thursday 26 June 2014

BTT: Anticipation

btt button

This week, Deb at BTT wants to know:

Do you still get excited about new books as you did when you were little? In general? New books in particular, like from a favorite author? Or do you look at all new, unread books with the same level of anticipation?

It usually takes a bit more than a general “hype” about a book to make me automatically think I’m going to love it. There has to be something that catches my personal interest (or tickles my curiosity) – whether it’s the author, a review, the blurb from the publisher, or even just the title or cover image.  A new book by a favourite author usually tends to get priority over other titles in my “to read” pile, though.

Just now I’m kind of trying the opposite – reading an older book by an author (Peter May) whose latest four (‘The Lewis Trilogy’ + Entry Island) I’ve appreciated a lot. The one I’m reading now is the first in The Enzo Files series – Extraordinary People (2006). I’m only about 40% into it yet (reading on Kindle) but it seems rather Dan Brown-inspired (Da Vinci Code etc  - not quite my favourite genre, a bit too stereotype). I think May has deepened his writing skills since then, not least when it comes to characters, and conveying the atmosphere of a place. But it’s interesting to see an author develop; and that in itself can make it worth while to go back and read earlier works for comparison.

6 comments:

  1. I am pretty choosy, and need to read a good review, or hear very good word of mouth. Right now I have a huge list of books that I would like, but have not bought yet. Blogging now takes up most of my reading time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i still get excited about books just like i did when i was a child.. i look for author that i love if i can find one and subject matter for the story... i never read reviews because what i think is good others do not and vice versa. i read what the book is about and the first page or two and still sometimes find one i don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I get very excited about books I know my mother-in-law is going to send me or the ones I've been given for my birthday or Christmas, and of course the ones I have found in bookshops or for my kindle. Right now, there is a small pile of books I bought in England, waiting to be read - I can't wait! And now that my final exams are over and done with, I will have more time to read again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to say that my degree of anticipation has nothing to do with any "hype" that may or may not be made about a book. The only exception were the Harry Potter books: every time a new one was announced, I was VERY much looking forward to buying and reading it.

      Delete
    2. I had the same experience with the Harry Potter books - well, at least with the last three. (Didn't read the first four until after they'd already been available for a while, and it wasn't until the fourth that I found myself truly "hooked".)

      Delete
  4. Interesting to read what you say about Peter May's earlier books. I shall read his later books at some time but will skip his earlier ones. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...