Thursday 24 January 2013

Booking Through Thursday: Soundtrack

btt buttonfrom Deb:

♫ Do you ever try to pair music with the book you’re reading? Play the movie soundtrack while reading the original book? Find mood music that fits with your story? ♫

I’m not sure if I ever tried listening to a movie soundtrack while reading the original book. Actually I quite like reading in silence. But if there are other irrelevant noises going on, I do prefer to try and drown them with music of my own choice. Generally, for reading, I prefer instrumental music. Either something neutral, not too intrusive, or something that I find suits the mood of the book. Or at least does not totally clash with it. For example, in the last book I just read, The Chessmen by Peter May, set on the Isle of Lewis off the west coast of Scotland, Celtic music was partly involved in the story. So with that book, Celtic music would not only be my preferred choice, but anything else would probably feel out of place.  

9 comments:

  1. Great answer. I imagine listening to clashing music would kind of ruin the tone of the book. Thanks for stopping by!
    Megan @ Love, Literature, Art, and Reason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting idea. Like you I find instrumental music is best when reading (or silence), and this also applies to the times when I am art-making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought about music while I read. I guess it would be nice if it wasn't too distracting. but then that would mean the music was not that good! When I was a teenager, I could not do my homework without loud rock music playing...Simon And Garfunkel, Sounds Of Silence. Which is what there should have been for homework.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My personal choice is no music, however, if I do have background music it has to be soft instrumental music.

    Thanks for the visit today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It had never even occurred to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i must say i have never even thought of playing music while i read. like you i prefer silence, but living with hubby i have learned to read OVER loud TV noise. when i listen to music that i like, i can't read at the same time, i just want to listen. my brain does not appear to be able to multi task and listen and read at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer quiet when I read, although I can tune out most anything when I'm really involved in a book!
    2 Kids and Tired Books BTT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you, I prefer reading in silence. The world around me is too noisy already anyway, without me adding to it.
    When I read on the train, I can stay focused on my reading easier when the language I am reading in is different from what the people around me speak. Therefore, reading in English is much preferred while travelling in Germany :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness, I never thought of that. I go to sleep every night listening to piano music. It's so relaxing. I like to read at Desconso Gardens (my post today) and hear the sounds of nature.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...