Thursday 9 February 2012

BTT: Only Five

This week’s question from Booking Through Thursday:

shelovestoread asks:

If you had to pick only 5 books to read ever again, what would they be and why?’

I sincerely hope I never have to make the choice, but if I did…

The Bible. Sneaky choice, because I get 66 books in 1.

I’d like to be sneaky with The Chronicles of Narnia as well because I have those in a box set, and they are each so thin, surely they must count as one? No? Well, I guess I’d pick The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe then.

Three Men in a Boat by J.K. Jerome. I’ve already re-read that at least thirty times or so and know for a fact I never get bored with it.

Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling. I realize there is no hope of getting away with all seven books in that series in one volume (it would need a suitcase of its own) so I just have to choose one. The Order is the thickest of them all ;) … But the reason it is my favourite is more to do with the fact that it was the one that made the deepest impression on me at first read.

Now I’m in serious trouble choosing the last one. I have a nagging feeling that I ought to take at least one to remind me of my own country, Sweden. Oh, all right. I’ll take Astrid Lindgren’s Seacrow Island. This is another children’s book but also with some memorable grown-up characters in it. Unusually, this was a TV-series before she also turned it into a book, and I’ve re-watched the TV-series more times than I’ve read the book. But I’m sort of assuming for the purpose of this exercise that only being allowed to take five books, I’m probably headed for some isolated place where I won’t be able to watch DVDs of my choice either! This book will help me recall images in my head.

I assure you I’m not happy to be leaving all other books behind, though. I can only hope I’ll never actually be put in the situation. Still, five books (or seventy) is better than none.

13 comments:

  1. Great choices! The Chonicle sof Narnia almost made it onto my list too... :)
    My Booking Through Thursday post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it's always fun when you can sneak books if they are aprt of a collection. Here's my BTT.

    Happy Reading!
    Cathy @ Addicted to Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course the Bible is number one - I have to think about the others. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watchers by Dean Koonz and Thor, and 3 of Catherine Coutlers books. it would be hard

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were tough to choose for me also, but we share one of the same selections in common. 66 books in one, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pride and Prejudice, The Once and Future King, The Sky Stone (from Jack Whyte's Camelud series),Cotillion (Geogette Heyer), The Bird in the Hand (Elliot family series by Elizabeth Goudge), Moonheart (Charles De Lint) and Outlander (Diana Galbaldon).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great picks.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/02/booking-through-thursday_09.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great choices ^_^ My choices are; The sixth man by David Baldacci, The millennium trilogy by Stieg Larsson, and The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown.
    Have a great evening!

    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't even begin to answer that question: it would take up too much of my meagre brain power.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That really is a sneaky way of using your five books! Can I have Trollope's 'Barchester Chronicles' as "one" of mine??

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL. I cheated and counted the entire Harry Potter series as one book. But if I have to choose what books were my favorites in that series then it would be Prisoner of Azkaban and Order of the Phoenix.

    Thanks for stopping by. ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...